Today on Page to Page Promo Interviews is Charles R. Stubbs! Charles has a free promotion for his current book ‘Retribution’ running from 10/28/13 thru 11/01/13. Welcome Charles…
A Little on the Personal Side:
- What three things do you think your readers would be surprised to know about you?
- I studied Math at university – at the time I had no inkling that one day I would be earning my living by writing (see 2)
- I earn my living by writing. For 12 years now I have been developing marketing and sales materials for companies, some of them very large. You have probably heard of BT, Vodafone and Cisco; there are dozens more. It was only recently that I decided to apply my creative skills to writing mystery thriller novels.
- A long time ago I taught Math in Athens, Greece, which is where I met my wife and where we were married. I can read and do speak some Greek.
- When you are not writing where can you be found? Mostly in my extensive garden, half of which is a naturally seeded English wood. I spend hours mowing the lawn and pulling up invasive, non-natural plants so that the indigenous flora can flourish. In the winter I feed the birds and spend hours watching and recording them.
- Do you have a favorite place to write? No, not really. I am one of those people who can ‘switch off’ and focus, even in noisy environments. Much of my latest novel, ‘Retribution,’ was written in cafés, on trains, in shopping centers—in fact, any place where I can sit down at a table with my laptop and a cup of coffee (or something stronger!)
A Little on the Professional Side:
- Where do you draw your inspiration from? I am passionately interested in the way that the ‘truth’ today has become so hard to come by. We are overwhelmed by so much information, from so many sources, and much of it contradictory. How is the ‘ordinary person’ to make sense of it all? Who, or what, can we believe? This complex and confusing situation is made worse by the activities of the media. My blog deals with events and issues that are related to newspapers, news broadcasters, online information and social media. I am fascinated by how easily vast swathes of opinion are influenced by what members of the public see and hear through these channels. This is what inspires me to write my books.
- In what ways do you relate to the characters in your latest book? People who know me and have read my books tell me I have written ‘a lot of me’ into Travis, the main character and ‘anti-hero.’ This is not something I consciously set out to do, and, to be honest, I find it quite disturbing that my acquaintances think I’m like him! He is a birdwatcher (like me), loves the countryside and walking in the mountains of North Wales (like me), and gets somewhat soppy over women (like I used to, but I thought I had grown out of this!). But that’s where it ends, doesn’t it? Personally, I thought I was more like Nick, the ‘real’ hero. Perhaps he is the one I would like to be?
- Of all of the characters you have written, which has been your favorite? Why? Least favorite? Why? I’ll start with my least favorite: Barry Stiles, nicknamed ‘Nobby.’ He also masquerades as Mr. Smith, or Mr. Brown, a truly malevolent individual who appears in my second book, ‘Retribution.’ As I wrote the story I tried to inject some human feelings of warmth, loyalty, and hopes for a family life into this man, but it didn’t really pay off. I genuinely do not like this character. One of the early reviewers of ‘Retribution’ on Amazon commented: ‘… you wouldn’t want to find yourself walking down the street with Nobby trailing a few steps behind.’
My favorite character without a doubt is Ann, the ‘feisty’ female, who in both books has to endure some terrifying and demeaning experiences. In ‘Web of Deceit’ I invented her and got to know her. As I wrote ‘Retribution’ I came to admire her and maybe even started falling for her. (See, I’m getting soppy again!)
A Little Quick Fire:
*When it comes to books*
Good Guys or Bad Guys? Good guys
Fiction or Non-Fiction? Fiction
Handwritten or PC typed? PC typed
Cozy Nook or Outdoors Oasis? Cozy nook
Happily Ever After or Nail-biter? Nail-biter
Writing or Reading? Writing (am I allowed ‘both?’)
*When it comes to you*
Ice Cream or Cake? Ice Cream
Chocolate or Vanilla? Chocolate
Coffee or Tea? Coffee
Dress Up or Dress Down? Dress Up
Barefoot or Shoes? Shoes
Cook or Order Out? Cook
Additional links: http://www.authorsdb.com/authors-directory/4618-charles-r-stubbs
Book titles and their corresponding sell links:
‘Retribution’ will be free from 10/28/13 thru 11/01/13