Today we welcome Kara Barney to Page to Page Promo Author Interview Series. Thanks for stopping by Kara!
A Little on the Personal Side:
- If you weren’t an author, what would you be? My dream job would be to be an editor for a publishing house. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree for this one!
- What is your all-time favorite book? 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is my favorite, and has been for many years. The chapter with the characters trapped under the icecaps is one of the best plot devices ever, because Jules Verne pulls us into an unlikely situation and makes it completely plausible. The fear, courage and suffering they feel is the same fear, courage and suffering that we feel. I still get shivers up my spine when I read it, and I’ve read the book in full at least five times.
- Books and writing aside, what’s one of your favorite things about your life or yourself? Sometimes I’m surprised by how much I’ve done with my life already, and I’m just getting started! Publishing a book, travelling, checking off my bucket list…You take a look back at where your life was five years ago, and this moment now is never where you expected to be, but that’s not a bad thing, it’s just something to take in stride. I enjoy change; I find it invigorating, captivating and amazing.
A Little on the Professional Side:
- Where do you draw your inspiration from? The Classics: Poe, Christie, Dickens, Verne, Shakespeare…The list could go on!
- What is your thought on eBooks being the new way to read? E-books are proof that the printed word will never die. Even as technologies update and printed books are scarcer than before, the binding, really, is all that is changing. Our need for language, understanding and hope for humanity is still very much alive, and is still portrayed through words.
- What did it feel like to sell your first book? Do you remember where you were when you found out you had sold a book? I remember I was in my apartment, and I found out over email. As soon as I saw the news, I thought, “Oh my gosh, I can’t believe this is happening!” It was also December 1st, and my next thought was, “This is the best Christmas present ever!” Then I called all my family and friends. I was on cloud nine all day long. It was honestly one of the best days of my life.
A Little Quick Fire:
*When it comes to books*
Good Guys or Bad Guys? That depends, but usually the good guys.
Fiction or Non-Fiction? Fiction
Handwritten or PC typed? Both; Handwritten first, then typed and edited.
Cozy Nook or Outdoors Oasis? Cozy Nook
Happily Ever After or Nail-biter? Nail-biter!
Writing or Reading? I could not live without writing.
*When it comes to you*
Ice Cream or Cake? White cake
Chocolate or Vanilla? Chocolate!
Coffee or Tea? Hot Chocolate
Dress Up or Dress Down? Dress down for writing, dress up for everything else.
Barefoot or Shoes? Shoes
Cook or Order Out? I usually order out, but sometimes I need real food.
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com @karalbarney
Book titles and their corresponding sell links: